Of all the colours on the earth, the one I love and turn to the most is black.
1. You can put on black and then forget about it
2. Black makes you look thinner and better dressed without really trying
3. Black is calming
5. When getting a present, choose black
6. It hides dirt
7. Words, numbers, and music notations look best in black
8. Black helps you match everything in your life
What is Black?Black is the nightWhen there isn’t a starAnd you can’t tell by lookingWhere you are.Black is a pail of paving tar.
Black is jetAnd things you’d like to forget.Black is a smokestackBlack is a cat,A leopard, a raven,A high silk hat.The sound of black is“Boom! Boom! Boom!”Echoing inAn empty room.
Black is kind —It covers upThe run-down street,The broken cup.Black is charcoaland patio grill,The soot spots on the window sill.Black is a feelingHard to explainLike suffering butWithout the pain.Black is licoriceAnd patent leather shoesBlack is the printIn the news.Black is beautyIn its deepest form,The darkest cloudIn a thunderstorm.Think of what starlightAnd lamplight would lackDiamonds and firefliesIf they couldn’t lean againstBlack . . .~ Mary O’Neill, from her classic children’s poetry book, Hailstones and Halibut Bones, which has 12 poems celebrating each colour, including white.